Volunteer Structure Change & Call for VolunteersA.J. Gruber
ISTA President & CEO
Just as every Association and its volunteers are unique, every Association’s structure is unique, too. From councils to committees to work groups, an Association accomplishes its goals through volunteer engagement. As such, it is important that we regularly evaluate our structure and be ready to adjust based on the organization’s changing needs. Throughout 2019 ISTA’s Global Board of Directors evaluated, discussed, and debated our structure to ensure ISTA is operating effectively. The result is a revised structure that will generate clarity and more efficient operation of our volunteer groups leading to even greater value for members.
The new structure better aligns our volunteer groups with ISTA programs (certification, education, research, and standards) while maintaining a focus on growing engagement with our global member base. In practice, this means is ISTA now has Councils focused on certification, educational, standards and research directly attached to our Global Board of Directors. We have eliminated the Technical Division Board and Sustainability Solutions Division Board. Sustainability is inherent in our mission and will remain a part of the discussion within each of ISTA’s Councils to ensure it is considered throughout our programming. The matters previously addressed by the Technical Division Board will now be handled directly by our Councils. The structure and operation of our regional boards is unchanged. Below you will find further detail on ISTA’s Councils. I encourage all members to contact us about interest in participating.
Certification Council | Provides oversight and direction to the Association’s laboratory certification and packaged-product certification programs.
- Chair: Kyle Dunno, RIT - Packaging Science Program
- Michel Comtois, Micom Laboratories, Inc.
- Matt Dodge, TEN-E Packaging Services
- Brian Proteau, Keurig Dr Pepper
- James Raw, Smithers Rapra and Smithers Pira Limited
- Jason Sherrier, Purple Diamond Testing
- Edmund Tang, Westpak, Inc.
- Jim Breault, Lansmont Corporation
Education Council | Provides oversight and direction to the Association’s educational efforts.
- Chair: Patrick McDavid, Michigan State University School of Packaging
- Lawrence Dull, Packaging Technology Associates Inc.
- Changfeng Ge, RIT - Packaging Science Program
- Amanda Kindig, SC Johnson, A Family Co.
- Jay Singh California, Polytechnic State University
Research Council | Provides oversight and direction to the Association’s research initiatives.
- Chair: Quinto Marini, UPS Customer Solutions - Package Design & Test Lab
- Don Appleton, Harris Corporation
- Laszlo Horvath, Center for Packaging and Unit Load Design - Virginia Tech
- Victor Huart, Metropack
- Keith Jackson, Packaging Corporation of America
- David Leinberger, ABF Freight
- James White, Smithers
Standards Council | Acts on all testing protocol related matters that are technical in nature including development of new protocols, review and maintenance of existing protocols. The Council also provides guidance to the Global Board on strategy of ISTA standards and executes against those identified strategies in conjunction with subsequent committees and groups.
- Chair: Chris Phan, PMI - Worldwide
- Immediate Past Chair: Michael Kuebler, Smithers - Lansing Technical Center
- Adeola Akinola, Varian Semiconductor Equipment Associates
- Jim Bisha, ABF Freight
- John Bouldin, Center for Packaging & Unit Load Design - Virginia Tech
- Joe Fair, Lexmark International, Inc.
- Earl Lee, UPS Customer Solution
- Lucas Venechuk, Highlight Industries
- TJ Rizzo, Cold Chain Technologies
- Lexi Rich, RIT - Packaging Science Program
- Pal Khangaldy, Nelson Labs
- Brandon Hink, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA)
- Rich Thomas, GE Appliances
- Morten Pedersen, Danish Technological Institute
Other ISTA Division Boards
North American Division Board
- Chair: Michael Gabriel, Land O'Lakes
- Larry Anderson, TEN-E Packaging Services Incorporated
- Erin Topper, Topper and Associates, LLC
- Brian Stepowany, B&G Foods Inc.
- Tom Blanck, Packaging Solutions Group
- Michael Pagel, Kohler Company
- Alain Belanger, Corruven
European Division Board
- Chair: Stuart Roberts - United Kingdom
- Immediate Past Chair: Javier Zabaleta, ITENE - Spain
- Allan Dickner, IKEA of Sweden AB - Sweden
- Jürgen Geiss, BSH Hausgeräte GmbH - Germany
- Sam Sheppard Fidler, Smithers - United Kingdom
- Gerrit Hasselmann, Fraunhofer Institute IML - Germany
- Martin Seburschenich, UPS Capital - Germany
- Stefan Wenner, Hewlett Packard - Germany
- Erich Steiner, DUO PLAST AG - Germany
- Jerome Pellot, METROPACK - France
- Carlos Mora, Safe Load Testing Technologies - Spain
- Jose Tomas, DS Smith Tecnicarton - Spain
- Felipe Novaes, Unilever - United Kingdom
- Giuseppe Benini, UL - Italy
China Division Board
- Chair: Li Hua, China National Packaging Corporation
- Executive Chair: Lu Binglin, China Packaging Research & Test Centre
- Mr. Zeng Liang, HQTS-QAI
- Mr. Ding Yong, SMQ
- Mr. Huang Changhai, “Shanghai Packaging” Magazine
- Mr. David Jin, Lansmont Corporation China Office
- Mr. Liu Hongchun, Huawei Co.
- Mr. Man Mingqiang, Qingdao Zhonghaiborui Inspection Co.
- Miss Shi Yuan, Xiamen Product Quality Supervision and Inspection Institute
- Mr. Wang Jun, Jiangnan University
- Mr. Xi Fangli, QAI
- Mr. Yang Yanyu, Bureau Veritas Consumer Products Services (Shanghai)
- Mr. Yu Jun, SGS Shanghai
- Mr. Mei Qihua, Atmet China
- Mr. Cai Gang, Shenzhen Addway Technology Co., Ltd.
- Miss Li Ning, Ningbo JOY Packaging Technology Co.Ltd.
- Miss Xu Jingmei, SF Express Co., Ltd.
- Miss Zong Yuan, HP Co., Ltd.
Asia Pacific Division Board
- Chair: Jongkyoung Kim, Korea Conformity Laboratories
- Francis Lee, Sealed Air (Singapore) PTE Ltd.
- Goh Ser Chuan, Mondelez International AMEA Pte Ltd
- Vincent Rouillard, Victoria University
- Masahiro Takagi, eXcearch Corporation
- Mohd Fariz Saadon, Dyson Manufacturing Sdn Bhd
- Vanee Chonhenchob, Department of Packaging and Materials Technology, Kasetsart University
- Daisy Tanafranca, Packaging Technology Division, ITDI
- Dr Supoj Pratheepthinthong, Thai Packaging Centre, Thailand Institute
- Prof Dr.N.C. Saha, Indian Institute of Packaging
- Vincent Teo, TUV SUD PSB Pte Ltd
- Dr. Yang Jai Shin, Korea University
We recently requested we are seeking workgroup participants for maintenance to two procedures. See related news items below:
Maintenance to procedure 3E
Maintenance to procedure 6-FedEx-A